Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Black Tax



Per the Urban Dictionary; http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=black%20tax


Black Tax
The higher prices that black people have to pay for.

1) goods - often due to a lack of large grocery stores, mass market discounters

2) insurance, mortages, loans

Due to their ethnicity
Buffy and Biff can get a lower rate on a home mortgage than Rasheed and LaShawna due to the black tax.

The terms above no longer apply due to new laws and regulations. However, if one were to visit let’s say a mechanic for repairs he may get this sort of treatment. I know this for a fact as I have experienced it personally.


This term not only applies to goods and services as well, but also in the work place. Note: I am writing this post on my own personal experiences and this is not meant to be fact based.

I am a man of some education, and certified in Lean Six Sigma. I know this may mean nothing to you, however if you run a Corporation this would mean something to you. Before becoming self-employed I worked in corporate America as an analyst and was very good at what I did.

I never took the time to count the amount of blacks in upper management. Looking back now, there were none. I worked hard at my job, first in, last out everyday. Sometimes working 70 hour weeks, coming into work when the Misses was in the hospital, and even when my mother was ill. I was dedicated!

I was the "go to" guy if you were having any sort of issue. However, when it came time for me to move up the ladder, I then saw the ceiling that I had not noticed before. I was praised at every turn, given pats on the back, called into executive meetings to explain complex issues, but when I asked for a slight bump in the ladder, I was told "we don’t feel that you have the experience", or "I can’t loose you on the team, your too valuable." NO instead the positions were given to Whites who were much less qualified then I. One in fact, was given a position I had applied for and he not only had NO degree, but no previous experience in our field. It was my responsibility to show him the ropes.

Someone who is not Afro-American would probably read this and think, "black man with a chip" of course you would. I would if I were not. However, lets look at it from this prospective. Other then myself, there were four other Afro-American working at he firm. Two of which had MBA’s and the others with a BS and BA.

None of us were in any position of authority. Not only this, but the gentleman I described in the above who had no education at all was over half of these who had more experience and education. Still think I have a chip?
I still face the "Black Tax" though I am now self-employed. But its not as hard as having to deal with those you know you know better then.

1 comment:

  1. we need to have a comprehensive , collective plan to tackle this evil that we all suffer quietly to different degrees.

    ReplyDelete